Thursday, January 24, 2008

Sand Spread Inside Slab Area

On Monday (Jan. 21), I had the sand delivered to fill in the space under the slab. It took 144 cubic yards and $1,800, but I should now have enough! I had the same bulldozer man that I used for filling in the whole lot and sand from the same company.

At first, the bulldozer wouldn't start. Probably because it was the coldest day so far this winter. I had asked him to be there for 7 AM. The sand didn't start coming until around 7:40, but he didn't get the dozer started until 8:00. By then, the first two loads were on-site. The sand didn't come as quick as I would like. I had to call and ask for a second truck to help. They sent the second truck twice, but afterward they went back to one truck. The last of the 12 loads was delivered at 12:40. The dozer guy still had some leveling work to do, and it took him until around 2 PM. After the last load of sand was spread, I had about 1/4 to 1/2 a load left over.

Also in the morning, the slab guys came out to move the rear garage form 4 inches closer to the front. They also removed a 2x12 from the back of the house so that the dump truck and dozer could get back there. All their work took about half an hour.

That afternoon, I went across the lake to see some Alenco windows from a place that gave me a quote. I'm reconsidering vinyl windows. For some reason, I had convinced myself that they wouldn't be good enough to satisfy me, and that I really wanted fiberglass frames instead because of their sturdiness and thermal insulation qualities. The only place I've found that has fiberglass is Pella, and their prices are way high. I'll continue to look for other suppliers of fiberglass windows, but I'm comfortable with the vinyl after getting a good look at them.

On Tuesday, I let the surveyor know that I'm ready for them to survey with the slab forms in place. The ETA is sometime late this week. I also called the plumber to let him know I'm ready for him to start. He said it would be a few days before he could begin. I asked him to call me and let me know when he'd be out there.

No comments: