Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Limb is Gone; Neighbors Outraged

My tree guys removed the limb today just before noon. The side neighbors weren't home. Everything went smoothly. They got most of the pieces of the limb in the neighbor's yard with a hook on a pole. When they cut the main limb, the remaining segment in their yard hung from the straps. They videotaped the entire procedure to be able to show that we didn't go on their property. Then they went to work cutting away the rest of the limb back to where it joined it's parent limb in the rear neighbor's yard (they had his permission for that).

All went well. At the end, the neighbor's adult son came home. He was enraged and chewed me out for a few minutes. He wouldn't listen when I tried explaining the law, so I let him rant. Apparently, I'm the cause of all grief they've ever experienced in life. He was on the phone a lot relaying the situation to someone. I tried giving him a copy of the legal information I have. He refused it. It's a shame because, up to this point, I always thought the son was cool with me. Judging from his words today, you'd think he's always hated everything I've done. Eventually, the son talked to my rear neighbor over the fence. Once he found out that I had that neighbor's blessing, he seemed to quiet down... I think it's time I finish building my fence between our yards!

So the limb is gone now, and the pillings are sitting on the lot tonight with the pile driving machine. Tomorrow the pilings go in!

As a post-script to this: I passed by the lot tonight on my way to church. Two police cars were there. One just in front of my lot and one across the street. Two officers were talking with a couple I didn't recognize, so I figured it had nothing to do with my encounter earlier. It turns out that someone had a gun to someone else's head in the house across the street from me. Yikes. And it really is such a nice little neighborhood. Really, it is! This one house is the one every neighborhood has: the sore spot that everyone wishes they would move away.

No comments: