Friday, March 28, 2008

Rough-ins Commencing

My HVAC sub started his rough-in on Wed. of this week. The plumber was supposed to start this week, but I haven't heard anything definite. With only one day left, I'm not sure if that'll happen. My electrician is starting tomorrow.

The AC guys have the air handler, the plenums, and some of the flex duct run in the attic. I decided to go with an electronic air filter. It is expensive at $980, but in the overall cost of the house this isn't much. I'm considering this to be one of the perks of owner-building: you get to upgrade some things because of the money you save. And I think this will help keep the air cleaner, which means less dusting and cleaning for me to do! Over the life of the house, that's worth it to me.

I bought all my electrical wire, as per my agreement with the electrician. He estimated it would cost me under $1,000. It actually cost me $1,800 for the bulk of it. I haven't bought the main breaker panel or the sub-panel for the garage, not to mention each breaker that goes in them. He's from the Northshore, and everything seems to run cheaper up there.

I bought the gable vents today, and the framers installed them. They also installed the pocket doors I bought on Tuesday. In fact, the framers are pretty much done. I love my framers. They even put blocking in the walls where I'll need to screw the top and bottom of my kitchen wall cabinets. They are very tight and thorough.

I've fallen behind in ordering my exterior doors. I still haven't done it. This may set me back a week or so as far as getting the brick layer in to start his work. I've only been concentrating on the doors part time, and only on the fancy front door (the double doors with an eyebrow arch across the top). The one I really wanted isn't available in the width I need, which is a double 2'-8" door. The ones in this range don't appeal to me as much as far as the window shapes and glass. They range in price from $1,800 to $4,600. Anyway, I need to get my doors ordered fast!

No comments: