Tuesday, December 25, 2007

End of the Slab Contractor Search!

Well, the contractor in my last post didn't work out. He took forever to get back to me and then wanted to charge about twice as much as the most expensive bid I have so far ($5 per square foot vs. about $2.50). No thanks. I think this is the first time someone has really tried to play me because I'm young or I'm new at this, etc.

So I kept looking. I circled back with other bidders in other trades to ask for slab references. The lady at one lumber yard gave me a name. I met this guy at the lot. His price is $1.60 per square foot, which doesn't include equipment or materials. Even so, he's about the least expensive guy I've found. This past Friday, I took my mom & dad with me to check out slabs he's done in a subdivision on the westbank. They were pouring two more slabs that day. I got to watch them for a bit and then walk through two others that are at the framing stage. The work was about the best I've seen.: flat surface with no honeycombing and minimal voids in the brick ledges. Even the areas surrounding plumbing pipes were fairly level.

I'll be contacting this guy tomorrow to put things in motion. Looks like I'm ready to begin actual construction!

No comments: