Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Lumber Bids - Allow 2-4 Weeks!

Don't wait too long before you get bids on your lumber. I was thinking I would wait until I was about done gathering framing bids before I looked into lumber. But I called two lumber yards today, and they're backed up about 2-1/2 to 3 weeks just to get a material take-off and a bid back to you.

Anyway, my one bid for framing so far is $6.75 per sqft. My friend who builds houses in Hammond says that's way too high. He expects it should be less than $6. He admits that he's not sure where the prices are down on the south shore right now, but he still thinks $6.75 is too high. Another guy I know in the contracting business locally says that this is within the range of what we see here right now. He knows of this framer and swears by his work. He says there are other framers here that will charge up to $8.

Finally, a tip: keep a sheet that tracks where each copy of your plans currently is. I have six copies for distribution, and I know who has the five that are out right now. I'm trying to get two of them back from people who shouldn't need them anymore.

No comments: